The story of our new house. Neglected for many years, with deep shag pile carpets, mirrored walls and mirrored ceilings and generally decorated on a "set of a '70's porn film" theme.
Monday, 8 February 2010
Reviewing Plans
On the fourteenth Malcolm (finally) sent us our plans. It seemed to have taken him a long time to make detailed plans from Michael’s originals. Marianna and I went over them and covered them in notes questioning why some things we wanted weren't there or weren’t where we wanted them and why some things we didn't want were there. He visited this morning so we could review them together. He commented on the temperature in the house and chose to keep his coat on. I’ve stopped noticing how cold it is and have come to prefer my flesh al dente. He explained some of the additions and subtractions on the plans and said he would amend others. Marianna asks a lot of questions, wanting to understand each process. I accept that he knows more than me and don’t bother. The biggest point for discussion and general sticking point is that Basil gave Martin and Anne permission to build the roof to their extension overhanging our garage roof. This makes going above the current height of the garage very difficult. Well, Michael didn’t think so but Malcolm seems less imaginative about how to overcome this. You get what you pay for. If we step in to the point where their roof ends we’ll have a garage barely big enough for a car. We can now contact builders and get formal quotes, begin packing up the possessions we did bother to unpack and get things into storage, find somewhere to live while the work is being done and finish gutting the house. Marianna has begun this by removing a section of wall carpet every time she goes up or down the stairs. We also have to give Brian a ‘Party Wall agreement’ and give him at least two months notice before building begins. Although we could post it I feel we should visit so we can also discuss how we’re going to literally get around their roof. Such a large part of my job involves discussing difficult subjects and asking people things within an hour of meeting them that you might never ask people you’ve known for years and yet I’m dreading having to visit Martin. We haven’t unpacked since we left Hull eighteen months ago and I’m tired of living like a squatter. It’s far from relaxing. If I was squatting I might have to worry about financing all of this a bit less. We’ll have to visit Martin this weekend.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment