Wednesday, 2 December 2009

Never Question The Great Oz

After receiving Malcolm’s much cheaper quote we emailed Michael, asking how it could be that we now had a formal quote based on the plans and it was still cheaper and why he now saw the cost of the project as being so much more than he previously did. Here is his response –

From: michael@$$$$$$$$$$$$$.com
To: pbodger@$$$$mail.co.uk
Subject: Building Regulation Fees
Date: Wed, 18 Nov 2009 14:40:13

I refer to your email of 17th November 2009.

My fee proposal was based upon my calculation of the anticipated cost of the project including a contingency for unknowns, and potential client changes during the build. Those costs also include our involvement and incorporation of new heating installations throughout the house, together with a new electrical installation and other items we have previously discussed.

I am surprised at the building regulation fee you mention, and would sound a note of caution for you:-

1. Is the “Architect” you mention a fully qualified Architect on the ARKUK register and a RIBA member?

2. Is he or she a member of a Chartered Practice?

3. Is he or she a “one man band”?

4. Has he or she adequate professional indemnity insurance to protect your interests?

In my professional experience (of over 40 years), a bone-fide Architects practice cannot even break even on a fee so low, and their insurers would be unlikely to cover them for such an uncommercial fee on the basis that their risk to reward ratio would be unacceptable.

I can only say beware what you are contemplating, for in this world, it is a truth that you get what you pay for.

For my part, this practice is offering you a comprehensive and experienced service, which in the longer term will give you value for money, which requires investment in time at the building regulations drawing stage to incorporate or make allowances for all the personalising elements you have identified that you wish to be incorporated, to ensure a smooth and co-ordinated building project later.

I doubt whether the quoted fee will give that level of service, and I would be concerned regarding the on-going support you might receive during the building process, especially as you both have little or no experience of building projects.

I regret therefore that if you are inviting me to reconsider my fee again, then I must decline, and will look forward with interest over the coming months to see how your project is progressing.

If, however, you wish to reconsider, my offer remains open until the end of November.

Regards

MICHAEL PILKINGTON
PARTNER

It’s not good is it? There’s no ‘Dear Marianna and Patrick’ at the beginning and he now signs off with both names. And the reduction in his fee turns out to be an offer lasting for a limited period only. Clearly, he hasn’t been pleased that we have dared to question his fees. I feel there also a hint of threat in the “will look forward with interest over the coming months to see how your project is progressing” bit. Does that mean he’ll be standing across the road watching and laughing while it all collapses around our ears? Without even knowing Malcolm he classifies him as having the intellect and talent of the ‘Loose Women’ panel. He also felt the need to point out that he’s been doing this for over forty years. Is that to remind me that I’m funding a soon to begin retirement? Malcolm is no spring chicken but I only assumed he’d always been an architect. This time last year he may well have been sweeping the streets. The added extra that Michael offers is philosophy. He reminds us that “in this world, it is a truth that you get what you pay for”. This isn’t true. People pay me a fortune and all they get is prison. The first time I read his email I felt panicked and thought that we should stick with him to guarantee a good service but on reading it again it reads like blackmail.

Then, yesterday, we got a quote from Steve the builder which was just over half way between Michael’s original price and his new price. So we had to discuss whether we should cut our losses and go back to a ground floor extension only. This would mean new plans, a new application for planning permission and that the last few months had been wasted.

No comments:

Post a Comment